Mount Stewart House and Gardens
The famous gardens at Mount Stewart were planted in the 1920s by Edith, Lady Londonderry, and are of international importance !!! It is a must see attraction on any Ireland tours.
The magnificent series of outdoor ‘rooms’ and vibrant parterres contain many rare plants that thrive in the mild climate of the Ards Peninsula.
The house tour includes paintings and stories about the prominent political figures to whom the Londonderry family played host.
• Former home to a fascinating array of political leaders and society figures
• World famous painting of ‘Hambletonian’ by George Stubbs
• Remarkable embroidered chairs used at the Congress of Vienna in 1815
• Famous gardens of international importance
• European Garden of Inspiration 2003
• Formal gardens of clipped topiary, statuary and magnificent colour schemes
• Picturesque lake surrounded by beautiful swathes of woodland
• Dramatic views across Strangford Lough from the Temple of the Winds
Any tour of Ireland should include a stop at Mount Stewart.
Ireland Luxury Tours takes in Mount Stewart on their tour of the Ards Peninsula along with Castleward House and Saint Patricks grave. The ferry journey from Portaferry to Strangford is worth the trip alone.
It can all be seen on a Belfast day tour from a cruise ship if timing is suitable.